Research and Publications
There’s so much to know about the nonprofit sector. At the Bayer Center, we keep asking…and asking…and asking…
Wage and Benefit Research
When you’re setting salaries, the Wage & Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations can give you all the comparables you need. We are deeply grateful for the 186 nonprofit organizations who took the time to fill out the 2017 survey and made it possible for us to report on over 11,000 local nonprofit employees. Thank you!
The 2017 survey will be available for purchase on February 10, 2017. Those who participated will receive the 2017 survey for FREE. The cost for non-particiants is $200.
This bi-annual survey adds depth to our collective nonprofit management knowledge base and is especially useful for:
- The IRS 990 form for nonprofits to benchmark executive compensation against the market
- Boards hiring new executive directors or seeking to fairly compensate the current staff leader
- Staff leaders seeking to bring equity to their salary administration
Download Surveys (PDF format)
- 2017 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
(available for purchase online for $200)
- 2015 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2012 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2010 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2008 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
We're pleased to share a recent article from The Chronicle of Philanthropy, featuring Peggy Outon as well as Bob Orser and Rita Haronian, our research partners for this survey, discussing improvement in the nonprofit gender gap. Your participation in this vitally important research makes these stories possible!
The bi-annual Southwestern Pennsylvania Nonprofit Technology Survey examines trends in local nonprofits' technology usage. We are grateful to our 2010 sponsors: DonorPro by TowerCare Technologies, NET Xperts and Plummer Slade.
Download Surveys (PDF format)
- 2010 Southwestern Pennsylvania Nonprofit Technology Survey
- 2008 Southwestern Pennsylvania Nonprofit Technology Survey
The Bayer Center has examined thousands of 990 forms for Southwestern PA nonprofits to learn about local wage inequity issues as part of the 74% Project. Updates in our research are published twice a year, in May and November. Learn more about the 74% Project.
Download Research (PDF format)
- November 2013 Infographic Poster
- May 2013 Research Brochure
- November 2012 Research Brochure
- May 2012 Research Brochure
- November 2011 Research Brochure
- May 2011 Research Brochure
In the fall of 2008, the Bayer Center launched a longitudinal survey to assess the current and anticipated impact of the economic recession on nonprofit organizations in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
Thanks to the generous support and the interest of the Richard King Mellon Foundation in these findings, the Bayer Center was able to continue our efforts to measure how our region’s nonprofits are faring. The most recent iteration of the survey was distributed in the summer of 2010.